Residencies & Overseas Workshops
Recently, Susan has been poet-in-residence with the Marine Conservation Society. In addition to being commissioned to write a series of poems inspired by the Thirty Threatened Species project and performing at a number of events and festivals, including the Hay Festival Winter Weekend, she ran workshops that encouraged participants to engage with vulnerable marine wildlife through poetry in an imaginative and dynamic way.
She is also delighted to have been appointed poet-in-residence with both the global animal welfare initiative, World Animal Day, and the British Animal Studies Network, facilitated by the University of Strathclyde. Both of these residencies are ongoing.
Susan has also enjoyed a period as poet-in-residence at the Dylan Thomas Boathouse in Laugharne. The photo on the right shows Susan working on one of her commissioned poems inside Thomas’ famous writing shed.
Other organisations and institutions for which Susan has been writer-in-residence include:
- Swansea University’s Department of Adult Education – over a six-month period, Susan ran intensive one-to-one writing surgeries on campus, offered workshops in the wider community and performed her poetry at a range of venues including the Dylan Thomas Centre and on board mobile libraries.
- National Association of Local Government Arts Officers annual conference – Susan’s brief was to produce poetry in response to the conference theme and to perform it for the delegates each morning.
Over the years, Susan has been lucky enough to run writing workshops and courses in some spectacular overseas locations:
- Australia – a range of workshops at the South Australian Writers’ Centre, Flinders University and the University of Adelaide, for the Size Acceptance Network in Adelaide and the Community Nutition Unit in Tasmania and at the International Drama and Education Festival in Brisbane.
- New Zealand – workshops focusing on how creative writing practices can be incorporated into the community health programme, with particular emphasis on eating behaviour and body image, in Auckland and Christchurch.
- Finland – workshops at the Universities of Helsinki, Turku and Tampere and at a school in Espoo, in association with the British Council.
- France – workshops at the British School of Paris.
- Ireland – travel writing workshop at the Irish Writers’ Centre, Dublin.
- Malta – Susan was invited to participate in a pan-European translation workshop by Wales Literature Exchange, in Valetta. At the final performance event, Susan’s poems were read in both English and Maltese.