- Over a period of six years, Susan offered poetry workshops for writers with disabilities on behalf of Disability Arts Cymru. Many of the pieces of writing produced during this period were selected for publication in Hidden Dragons (Parthian Books). She later ran workshops for young disabled people in South Wales for the Ignite the Flame literature project.
- Susan has also worked as Project Manager of The Great Cardiff Poem, writing – and inspiring others to write – poems about Cardiff to support its bid to be the European Capital of Culture. More than five hundred people took part in her Great Cardiff Poem workshops and many of the poems produced were on public display in the city – on buses, bus shelters, flyposters and advertising hoardings.
- In addition, Susan has run writing workshops for many Women’s Arts Association projects, including Dreams, Engaging Women in the Arts and Journals. For the Journals project, Susan ran poetry workshops for a group of Libyan women and also for members of Cardiff’s Yemeni community.
- Susan has also offered creative writing workshops for refugees and asylum seekers on behalf of the The Welsh Refugee Council.
- Susan also very much enjoys workshopping in schools. One of her most satisfying schools projects was running scriptwriting workshops on behalf of Cinetig Animation Company. Susan worked with pupils from Cardiff High School to produce a script inspired by Karagoz Turkish shadow puppet theatre. The script was later animated and shown at the Cardiff Screen Festival. More recently, she has been involved in the Stillwalks Sights and Sounds project at primary schools in South Wales.
If you are interested in booking Susan for a workshop (a two-hour slot, a full day, a whole weekend or a week-long residential) please get in touch. She may also be booked through the Literature Wales Writers on Tour scheme which offers funding towards relevant literary activities.
Comments from participants in some of Susan’s recent community projects:
Wonderful exercises. Susan is gentle, caring, yet firmly in command – Diane Walters
Susan has opened the doors to a whole new world for me – J.T.
All my pupils were fired by her personal enthusiasm and eagerness to communicate her ideas – Kerry Butler
Susan’s professionalism at her creative writing workshops embrace her multiple skills, patience and immense support – E.R.T.